Monday, August 29, 2011

Ramadan is over!

This is the last night of Ramadan and I will be so happy when life gets back to normal. Nothing works like it's supposed to during this month of fasting from sunrise to sunset. People sleep most of the day (or sit in a cool place and try not to move too much)and eat and party into the wee hours of the morning. Most nights we go to sleep to the sound of drums & loud music all around us. Everything is backwards and upside down. The stores are jammed with crowds of people buying an overabundance of food. Everyone is on nerve's edge and a brawl will break out at the smallest disagreement. The bad breath is what really gets me; I was told that people are proud to have bad breath because it tells everyone around that they're fasting. Yuck! The driving is treacherous. One takes his life into his hands going out during this month. Everyone is in a hurry to get to where they're going & the patience level is very low. For us that are not participating in the fast, we take advantage of the hour when everyone is eating and venture out to do our shopping then. The stores are completely empty and we have the isles to ourselves. There have been workers coming to the Family Place to "work" everyday but their energy level is sadly lacking and we're getting about 2 hours of work out of their 8 hour day I'm afraid. They choose to work only in the shady spots which I can't totally blame them for; after all it is 100+ degrees in the sun and no water allowed. I love it when they try and convince me that this is the best month of the year and they hate to see it end. They could sure fool me with their pained faces and lethargic shuffle. Doesn't look like a lot of fun to me! Well, it's over for another year & I for one couldn't be happier. I'm also so happy that it is not my suffering or giving up things that gains me access into heaven!

0 comments: