Thursday, April 12, 2018

Love my Ladies



Every two weeks we invite the Syrian refugee women to come for breakfast and a morning away from the dismal lives they live. I love to set a fancy table and make special things for them. We are always prepared with several options, depending on how many come and what the situation allows. This week we had 11 women and 10 babies show up! To say there was a little chaos would be an understatement. They fought over the 3 highchairs we have. They devoured every bit of food we made. They chatted and laughed and enjoyed each other's company. They feel safe at the Lighthouse and they feel very loved. It must be worth all the headache involved in even getting there since they have to load up their babies in strollers and carry them up and down subway stairs. It's actually a miracle that their husbands allow them to come on their own; must mean they trust us too, which is huge. Needless to say, with 10 babies and toddlers this week, we didn't have a serious discussion but did get in a quick German lesson with our German partner and it was good. Because these women keep having babies, they are not able to go to school and learn the language so they hardly know how to say "my name is...". Any help we can be in this area is really great. They are such lovable women who have stolen my heart and who I will miss dearly. Even the mention of my leaving causes them to cry and that breaks my heart. I hope and pray that they will continue to come after I leave! I have been a sister to some, a mom to others and a grandma to their children. I love them so very much. May they feel the love of Jesus through my hugs and my tears. It's going to be hard for me to leave them. It's going to be hard for them to lose me. Pray that they will continue to come to the Lighthouse and find the same love that I have offered them. (some are already saying that they will never come back after I leave-I hate to hear that) I'm trying to push Nawal forward (George's wife) and have them get to know her better. She has two small children so it's not as easy for her to get around and talk to the women as it is for me. It's going to be different but as in all places we've left, it soon takes on another form and people get used to the new normal. This is life!

0 comments: