Saturday, October 1, 2016

Unexpected turn of events

Saturday afternoon, I called my Syrian friend Abby to check on things. She sounded very depressed and upset. I tried to press her on what was the matter but she didn't give me a satisfactory answer. I told her I hoped to see her Sunday morning for our gathering at the Lighthouse. Around 5PM, her husband called and asked if we could come to their place; that if we didn't, someone might die tonight! Yikes!! We grabbed our stuff and took off out the door. After 1 hour and 20 minutes on the train/bus/walking, we finally reached their place. Things were tense to say the least. Abby began by talking in a very loud voice and accusing Henry of everything he's ever done and just out of control. Then he started in and told us all the things she's been doing in the past few days that were just horrible. It got so bad this afternoon that she grabbed a knife and started threatening him. This is all in front of her children! I felt we were in, way over our heads. There were severe problems and I couldn't see any way this marriage could survive. At one point I was so exasperated with Abby that I actually told her "just go back to Islam. It's obvious that Jesus has made no difference in your life and there's no evidence that you've surrendered anything to him". I was very bold and tough with her because she was totally out of control and blaming everything on her husband. I could see that he has suffered terribly for the past months and that he really had tried to make her happy. It was a long, painful 2 hours of listening to them screaming at each other and I almost gave up. I finally said that if they insisted on continuing down this destructive path and refused to let Jesus have any part in their marriage, then they'd better separate for the sake of their children and themselves. Darrell & I prayed and then we just sat in silence and all of a sudden, Henry began praying a beautiful prayer of repentance from deep in his heart. It was one of the sweetest things I've ever heard. Abby followed with her prayer, also asking forgiveness and acknowledging her wrong-doing. There were many tears shed and a breakthrough occurred before our eyes. I never saw a situation change so drastically in such a short time! It was thrilling to see. They say they will be coming tomorrow to our Sunday brunch and Bible Study again. This is exhausting, emotionally draining stuff. We need you to keep up the prayers for us and these dear people we minister to. I have absolutely NO doubt that someone was praying right at that moment when the whole atmosphere changed and the power of the enemy was broken and tears of repentance flowed. Praise His name!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Continued prayers or the couple, I know these marital problems are up then down, a sad situation altogether. My heart hurts or this marriage and the children. Praying J in the middle.

Did the other members o your team arrive yet?

Prayers lifting the Lighthouse, you and D.

Gean

John & Judy McMannus said...

Praise the Lord for their repentance. Such a tough situation and so much that needs to take place toward the goal of a healthy family of faith. Only God! Continuing to stand with you in prayer.

John & Judy McMannus said...

I have not forgotten Abby and her husband and the kids.

This is the kind of stuff He is good at... among countless other things.

Will continue to do my part... John too because he is on board as well.

May you both be refreshed inwardly. I can just imagine how much something like this took out of you.

Jude Mc

Julie Brown said...

Have prayed for Abby and her husband quite a lot. Will continue.

Anonymous said...

Thinking you you this morning, continued prayers. Continued prayers for Abby, the Lighthouse, and God's blessings over you. May the Lord touch hearts there to help provide the vision and plan He has.