Sunday, August 24, 2008

A trip to the bank

This morning I made my usual trip to the bank to withdraw money. I asked for my money in Iraqi Dinar today which meant it was quite a large bundle.($1=1,200 I.D.) In fact, it was downright huge and I wondered how I would carry it out. In the middle of the transaction, the electricity went out. Everyone acted like this was a normal event and just sat patiently waiting for it to come back. It seemed like an eternity to me. The girl then handed me a black plastic bag in which to pack up my bundle of money. While I was there, there were young boys hauling in huge bales of money in wheelbarrows and a man standing nearby with a Kalashnikov to guard them. Somehow this didn't seem like the usual bank atmosphere that I'm used to. Upon completing my transaction, I left the bank carrying my large black bag bulging with money. It's normal; everyone else has theirs too.

3 comments:

~~The Dr3sslers said...

Is anything ever normal over here? :)

The Greenfields said...

oh, cheryl! thanks for sticking it out and waiting through the power outage :) :)!!!
rach

John & Judy McMannus said...

Hey,

Trips to the bank and bags full of money can seem like experiences from another planet! When I did that I always kept looking over my shoulder to see if anyone might be following me!

Made it through evertime - minus some emotional sanity.

Looking back I am glad we were there doing what we were called to do.

John