Monday, June 23, 2008

Thankful

It's been a wild few days as we've moved into our new home. As many times as I've done this, I always forget what's involved! And in this country a lot more is involved than anywhere else I've lived. The electrician has been working for two days to hook up our generator to the house, hook up air conditioners in every room and numerous plugs and lights that are broken. Now we have 3 colored lightbulbs in the kitchen window to tell us where the electricity is coming from. This morning when the electric came on at 7AM (it had been off since 3), we sat down for breakfast at our new kitchen table, music playing, fan blowing overhead and we were overcome with how good our life is. SO much to be thankful for. We had a meeting with a very influential person yesterday, we've been welcomed warmly by everyone, found a beautiful house in one day, bought a car (sight unseen from a friend in another city - a Nissan 4X4) we go for our residence permits tomorrow & hope to get 6 months or a year. In spite of the heat, lack of electricity and ferocious dust, we are beginning to feel at home in this place; we're picking up some words in the language and will soon venture out in our car alone. The driving is crazy but no crazier than other places we've been, just don't know where we're going yet! Today I wish I had a video of me trying to get into a taxi holding a carton of 30 eggs, my computer on my shoulder and maneuvering a grocery cart piled high with stuff, going down a steep ramp. It was a sight to behold. Hopefully we'll have internet in our home in a few days. I'm going through withdrawal. I come to this smoky cafe once a day.

1 comments:

martin & joanna said...

Habibty,
When are you NOT a site to behold? :) ha ha.
C U soon?
jo