Saturday, June 28, 2008

The mother of all trips

I'm in the Vienna airport on my way home to be with my mom (who's very ill) for 2 weeks. I have a super fast internet connection here so I'll take advantage and post some pictures and comments here. I left my home at 9AM with a taxi driver who went at top speed for 3 hours through the mountains. He didn't like his seatbelt so just put it on when we came to police checkpoints (which was at least 20 times). He'd then take it off and let it beep for a full minute before it stopped. He also had a car that beeped loudly at 120 km per hour. Much of the trip the car was beeping because we were often going more than 120. It was scary to say the least! He was supposed to take me into town for lunch and then to the airport but I told him to take me straight to the airport, even though I was 4 hours early. I arrived in Vienna and had booked a hotel on-line. I asked the tourist desk where this hotel was and she pointed me in the right direction. I got on a bus and went 1/2 hour, then was to look for the underground train. I walked for 1/2 hour looking for the train and everyone gave me different directions. I finally found a young man who was going to the same place I was going so he said to follow him. When I got off the train he pointed me in the direction he thought the hotel was. I got out on the street in a busy city and had NO idea what to do. I nabbed some random man and asked him and he said to follow him. He "happened" to live right next to the hotel! We walked for 15 minutes and came to an obscure small hotel that I never would have found on my own. By now my feet were blistered and my back hurting since I'd been carrying my heavy computer bag on my shoulder all the way. I found a cute little Italian restaurant and had some pizza and then fell into bed. A truly exhausting day!

0 comments: