Sunday, July 29, 2012

The month in Switzerland is a distant memory. I'm so happy to have my master's behind me and not have that hanging over my head morning, noon and night. I definitely felt the Lord's help in a big way throughout the whole time of studying. I was way out of my comfort zone, studying education and administration! But I made it through and learned a lot and actually did very well. 3/4 of the way through my time in Switzerland, I received the devastating news that my nephew, Josiah Pierce Bubna, had died suddenly, just 5 weeks before he was to be married. I was paralyzed with grief and knew that I could not stay there while everyone else was in Chicago for the funeral. I desperately wanted to go and be with my sister and her family. I checked on tickets and decided no matter what, I was going, even if it meant throwing the whole master's out the window. I talked to my professors and they were full of compassion and told me to go. (and I was still able to finish all my work and graduate on time) I have experienced some deep grief in my life but nothing comes close to this. Not only my own grief but most of all the thought of the grief beyond description that my sister and brother-in-law are going through. I wish so badly that I could bear some of it for them but as my sister says, they have to walk this road alone and it is desperately lonely and painful. It's a comfort to know that even though no human can help to ease the pain, Jesus is walking the road with them and they will make it through this dark tunnel somehow with his help. Thank you to many of you who have prayed and continue to do so. It's the only thing anyone can do. Words are hollow and meaningless. May God give me grace to live each day as if it were my last. He is worthy and nothing else is.


1 comments:

Naomi said...

Oh I can hardly imagine the pain of this! Knowing how much you love your family, it's like you said It's unbearable but for the strength of the Lord. And then to think of Elin and Joel and the girls!! I am praying-praying-praying! I'm sure some days it must be even hard to breathe let alone take the next step. I can't think of it without tearing up. May you all know the indescribable comfort of the Lord! We love you and think of you often. Please tell Elin and Joel how much we are praying for them and their girls.