Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July





Last night we had some friends over and had a fun night making homemade pizza & playing games. I'm so thankful for my big living room that can seat so many people.
Today is the 4th of July and just another dusty day in this part of the world. No grassy parks or backyard decks, no flags flying or patriotic songs sung, but we did have a party and made the most of our humble circumstances. We had grilled hamburgers and hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, jello salad and apple pie. Can't get anymore American than that! (I did have to go to the butcher this morning and order the meat for the burgers. It was freshly killed and still hanging on the hoof)
The men took care of the grilling. I felt so bad for them out in that awful heat and dust. We're experiencing one of the worst dust storms since we've been here; our friends down south say they can hardly see their hand in front of their face. Our big generator also broke down today and Darrell spent half the afternoon working with the repairman trying to get it fixed. Then it was off to our Int'l Ch Fellowship and a pot luck dinner afterward. Another great evening with a large attendance and wonderful spirit. Made us forget all about our electricity woes & the thick dust covering everything (until we walked back outside!) God is good, all the time.

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Sounds like you had fun. And your living room looks great! I don't envy the sandstorm; makes me all snuffly and stuffed up thinking about it!

dclouser said...

Hey, you guys did a lot better than us. The 4th didn't get celebrated by Steve and Eliz in Ouaga nor by me in Kandern. Sounds like you have wall to wall people at your place! Hope the dust has calmed down by now.

crystalH said...

Remember 4th of July 2001 in Sidon. I was nervous about teaching the ESL students about it b/c Bonnie and her husband were there and he was from England. She told me to never mind that. I wanted to have a grill out on the beautiful roof top patio and we actually saw fireworks. I'm sure this year was a joyus one. I will never forget that one though.