Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A grief observed

I have just returned from 10 days in the States for my sister-in-law's memorial service. I would not have traded that precious family time for anything and was so glad I decided to go home at the last minute. Questions about death & heaven dominated most conversations as we all processed the passing of dear Jennie. We wished we could help bear some of the pain my brother was experiencing but realized that the path of deep grief is one that has to be walked alone and although painful, is somehow sacred. It is all he has left of Jennie. We will all be called at some time in our life to bear more than we think we can bear but He has promised never to leave us and he will help us to stand when we think we're going to collapse. I watched in awe as my brother grieved his most beautiful bride of 21 years; it was a picture of someone with deep faith in God who stood like a rock and praised Him in the midst of his grief. All through the day, he would break out in loud songs of praise. His faith was not shaken. I know there will be dark days ahead; I've been through the stages of grief before. But how awesome to observe the grief of a believer in Christ; it is not like the grief of others who have no hope.
At this time of year, I can't help but remember the death of my dear friend, Bonnie. It will be 6 years on November 21st. That was a dark period in my life and I still have so many questions about her senseless murder. Who are the souls who will be in heaven because of Bonnie's witness? As I think a lot about death these days, I have one enduring question that comes to mind many times a day..."Am I living my life as if this was my last day on earth?" Life is so short and none of us is promised tomorrow. I want to be found faithful when He calls me home.
Sorry this is a bit heavy, but these are heavy days. Hopefully my next blog will be more cheery!

6 comments:

Ross and Taya said...

"We cannot, Lord, thy purpose see. But all is well that's done by thee." We're so sorry for your loss. We can't even imagine how much harder it must be with the distance. May God bring comfort, fond memories, and a continued dependence on Him. We're praying for you,

ross and taya

Char Ollinger Waughtel said...

Cheryl -

Thank you for sharing this with us. Just to see the strength in God and one another is a real inspiration and a testimony to the love you had for your sister in law.

PTL
Char

Kathleen said...

So very well said!! Very thought-provoking as well. As far as souls in Heaven as a result of both Bonnie (whom I knew only through you) and Jennie, I know they will be plentiful!

Unknown said...

It meant so much to me to see your heart in your post. God bless you, I just prayed for you that God will be very near you in this time.
Love and continued prayers,
Lori Civitts

jess e. said...

thanks for sharing your heart. still praying for you guys and for john.

Missy said...

Cheryl-
I think the same thing this time of year. I think of Bonnie right as the meal for Thanksgiving is put out and I recall our last Thanksgiving all together with her. Of course, on the day of the 21st, I feel a sense of loneliness for someone around me to understand the questions and pain in my heart that still remain. However, like you, I also wonder about the impact we may never know about until heaven. Thanks for sharing.